If you feel the police have treated you unfairly, you can make a formal complaint about the officers involved. You can also complain to the police if you have been assaulted and they haven’t taken any action on your case.

To lodge a formal complaint you must do so in writing. You can do this by completing this form or by making an online complaint.  It is important to complain within 12 months as after this time, police are not obligated to investigate your complaint.

Written complaints can be left at, or mailed to, your local police station or mailed to the Customer Assistance Unit at PO Box 3427, Tuggerah, NSW 2259

You can also submit a complaint to the NSW Ombudsman or the Law Enforcement Conduct Commission about your experiences with police.

Generally, the police will investigate the complaint and respond to you. The Ombudsman’s role is to oversee the complaint investigation and make sure the police investigate it properly. The Police Integrity Commission is responsible for preventing, detecting, and investigating serious police misconduct.

What information should you provide?

When making a complaint it's important to provide as much detail as possible to assist police to respond appropriately to your complaint. The information you should try to include is:

  • your name and contact details;

  • a detailed description of the matter being reported;

  • date, time and location of the incident;

  • the names of people involved, or who could otherwise assist police to resolve your complaint;

  • the names (if known) of the NSW police officers involved;

  • details of any documents, records, witnesses etc, that may assist in the resolution of your complaint;

  • what you expect the NSW Police Force to do about your concern; and

  • any other information you consider relevant.

What to expect from the Police

Once you have lodged a written complaint you can expect the NSW Police Force to:

  • protect your confidentiality

  • advise you of the receipt of your complaint and how police intend to manage it

  • keep you advised of the complaint's progress

  • consult with you on the action the police intend to take as a result of the complaint, if practicable

  • advise you of the action taken as a result of the complaint

  • obtain advice from you on whether you are satisfied with the action taken in response to your complaint.

ACON can support you to make a formal complaint and also advocate on your behalf.